Wednesday 30 July 2008

Flexifoil Atom review

Well, I've had my 9m Flexifoil Atom now for quite a while and it's certainly been the best kite I've ever had - bar none.

I use the kite for landboard, buggy and also the more typical kitesurfing.

Quality
In terms of build quality, the Atom is obviously well put together and incredibly robust. I've accidentally dumped it a few times on land and it's never failed me once. I think this goes without saying for a Flexifoil kite.

Wind range
My main reason for liking it so much is that I've virtually flown nothing else all year on land. It's seem me through some howling winter/spring storms right down to some fairly light summer winds and always handled them brilliantly. Basically, if it launches them I know I'm good for the day.

This broad wind range on land gives me more confidence to fly in anything as I know I have complete control and this has been proven many times through 2008 when I've regularly only flown the Atom when others are chopping & changing their kites all day long to cope with the changing conditions.

It's also easier to venture out in gusty conditions as it's easy to swallow them up with movements in the bar, and if it changes massively then a play with the trim strap sorts that out.

Relaunching is a doddle in the right winds and it takes some coaxing in low winds but it's infinitely better than the Peter Lynn kites I was flying. Simply get the kite on it's back and pulse the upper front line and it generally pulls itself through and sits waiting at the edge of the window.

Control
Well, here's something that's incredibly important. Essentially you have *total* control over the kite. The 9m also turns on a button making for faster turns and you can keep that power on all the time.

As an example, in the right wind conditions you can simply stand there with the kite over your head, pull the bar in and up you go! Let the bar out and down you come. Nice! :)

When moving along at speed you can quickly send the kite up to the top with no power and not be lifted out of your seat. Nice!

Pull the bar in on a fast run and it's like an accelerator - so much control.

Inspired
I've had such a great time with the 9m Atom this year that it's inspired me to do 2 things.
1) Get on the water & learn to kitesurf
2) Buy a 12m Atom

Well, I had all of the tools so why not get on the water? Wet stuff needs a lot more power than dry and I was told that where you'd use a 9m on land you'd want a 12m on the water so I bought a 12m Atom.

I'm finding that the 12m Atom has all of the traits of the 9m Atom *but* it's a much bigger so it needs more wind to launch and it's a lot slower on the turn, this is to be expected. In reality my friends 12m Waroo is much better as it has a lower bottom end and it turns faster. I'm thinking I should probably have gone for an Ion or similar.
Still, I shouldn't complain as the 12m Atom has got me up & surfing. :)

Summary
Is the Atom a great kite in real-world conditions? Hell yes!
Can you use a bow kite on land? Hell yes!
Should you buy one? Hell yes!

You can see me flying the kite somewhere in this video

Don't forget to leave comments. :)