Monday 2 May 2011

Back in the kite buggy saddle

Well, I've been away from Kite buggying since our last eventual day at Talacre when we had to call in the services of the Welsh Air Ambuance to airlift one of the guys away.

After a turbulent 2yrs of work and relocating around the country I'm now back near my favourite inland kiting spot - Pontefract Racecourse.

La Crosse Technology EA-3010U Handheld Anemometer
With some trepidation I headed to Ponte despite the wind forecast being from the worst direction and very high, the scene was set for a make-or-break start. I later checked and the winds ranged from 10mph to 30mph and my own wind meter recorded a wind speed of 27mph.

I arrived and all the other kite buggy people were sat bunkered down against the tough winds, no-one was flying but I was determined to give it a go.

As I setup my 9m Flexifoil Atom the decision point of fly or go home was rapidly approaching but needless to say I gritted my teeth and launched.

I have to say that yet again the 9m Atom provided more than capable and enabled me to fly safely in conditions that others were struggling with 2m foils, it is a truly awesome kite.

Everything came rushing back and I was soon whipping up and down the racecourse in my buggy and I'd guess I wasn't far off 30mph groundspeed on occasion. The rides were exhilleratingly scarey at times and I had a couple of moments where I was nearly tipped over despite the wide-axle and using my experience to help me overcome the problems.

I did get lofted a couple of times but it was all fun.

I'm glad to be back into kiting again after a 2yr break and I can't wait to get back out again, maybe I'd be more choosy with the wind conditions next time.