Saturday 13 October 2007

Shady Jon

I was on herringthorpe playing fields and this shady character in a hoody was walking across the field, paused to have a nosey at my bags (about 30m away) and I got suspicious as I was hooked in and couldn't really do much.

As this character got a bit closer I noticed the 'SKF' logo on the front and Jon (jugglerjon) introduced himself! He'd been driving past and noticed the kite and stopped by.

I was good to put a face to a name for both of us and Jon gave me loads of n00b advise that I wouldn't have got otherwise.
* Some pointers on how to hook in properly using the DD to stop the CL from falling off the hook. Obvious when you know what it's for and it didn't help that Ive got a quadrifoil harness with pulley bar.
* Jon kindly offer to lend me a differnt spreader bar, having never met me, but the pulley was sewn into the harness.
* Advise to use a caribina on my pulley quadrifoil harness (I bought one the following day) as my bar has 2 built in safeties of it's own. The caribina works a treat.
* Some top tips for 1st time on the beach - get down there - it's easier than inland, look out for soft sand, check it's an onshore wind, etc.

A public thanks to Jon and the general helpfulness of the people on these boards. It's well deserved.