Saturday 2 February 2008

RS @ Mablethorpe - 1st beach buggy session

Got back earlier from my first session at the beach with the buggy. The intention was to go to Cleethorpes but there was fencing around the beach when Paul and I got there so we headed south to Mablethorpe.

When we arrived there was very little wind and what there was was coming cross-off but we'd come a long way so we chanced it, especially as this was our first beach outing with our buggies.

There were a couple of other lads there but none of the regulars so we setup.

I tried a bit of everything, started out with a recently acquired Ozone Razor 4.5m - just a pain to handle and too twitchy for me.
Next out was the 16m Venom II but the winds were just too light so it just kept dropping out of the sky and refused to relaunch when heavy & wet - more wind required for that I think.
Finally resorted to 'old faithful' and the 8m Access II, it was underpowered but enough to trundle about.

I had a great session but rapidly discovered why people wear drysuits on the beach as there's so much wet sand gets thrown up and the low seat is at exactly the right angle to catch everything the front wheel throws up. I ended up completely soaked with a face full of sand but that was part of the fun.

I headed towards what looked like a shallow sea channel to find it was actually quite deep and I ended up sat in waist high cold sea water with the buggy seat holding it in. Turns out I was sat on the drain hole so it wasn't going anywhere! A quick weight shifted resulted in the water draining away but I was soaked.

Despite the soaking, light winds and constant kite swapping it was still good to get out and have a blast in the buggy. I think Mablethorpe is a little too far unless the weather, tide and time guarantee a long session.

Roll on good Easterly winds!